Capital One Cup round-up

Things got heated as Everton lost to Leeds. Photo: PA

There were two big shocks in the Capital One Cup as Aston Villa won 4-2 at Manchester City while Leeds held off late pressure to knock out Everton 2-1 and move into the fourth round.

Mario Balotelli gave a strong City side the lead after 27 minutes but Villa drew level thanks to an own goal by old boy Gareth Barry with little more than half an hour remaining.

Aleksandar Kolarov restored the hosts' lead five minutes later before Villa levelled after 70 minutes through Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Carlos Tevez hit the bar with just over three minutes left and Scott Sinclair was denied for the hosts in stoppage time by Shay Given in the Villa goal as the game went into extra time.

Charles N'Zogbia scored six minutes into the first extra period with a low shot from close range before Agbonlahor then sealed victory with a fine strike two minutes from the end.

At Elland Road, Neil Warnock's side made an ideal start with a fine individual effort by Aidan White, the midfielder weaving his way through the visiting defence before unleashing a fierce drive into the net in the fourth minute.

The hosts doubled their lead with 20 minutes remaining.

A free-kick from the left of the area found an unmarked Danny Pugh, whose shot was backheeled in by Rodolph Austin.

Everton clawed their way back into the game with nine minutes remaining when Victor Anichebe's cross into the box found Sylvain Distin whose header looped into the net, but they could not muster an equaliser.

While there was excitement in west Yorkshire, all that was in doubt at Stamford Bridge was the number of goals Chelsea would score as they hammered Wolves. They settled for a 6-0 win.

The writing was on the wall for the Championship side as they were three goals down within 17 minutes thanks to strikes by Gary Cahill, Ryan Bertrand and Juan Mata.

An Oriol Romeu penalty (53), Fernando Torres (58) and Victor Moses (71) saw the Blues ease to the next round.

Two moments of individual magic proved enough for 10-man Sunderland to see off a spirited MK Dons side at Stadium:mk.

The game lacked quality for large periods but two second-half goals - a fantastic Craig Gardner free-kick and a well-taken solo effort from James McClean - secured safe passage for the Black Cats.

It mattered little that Sunderland played almost an hour with 10 men after Lee Cattermole was sent off for a foul on Adam Chicksen.

Wigan enjoyed an emphatic 4-1 victory over West Ham at Upton Park.

There was little sign of what was to come when Modibo Maiga gave the Hammers an early lead. Two goals by Mauro Boselli, an Ivan Ramis strike and a Jordi Gomez penalty eased Roberto Martinez's side through.

A last-minute goal by Garry Monk saw Swansea secure a 3-2 win at Crawley.

The Barclays Premier League side went ahead through a fierce Miguel Michu shot after 27 minutes before the hosts levelled through Josh Simpson just before half-time.

The League One team then took the lead thanks to Hope Akpan 17 minutes into the second half, only for the Swans to equalise 12 minutes later through Danny Graham's close-range header.

With extra time looming, Crawley were just found wanting as Monk headed home Wayne Routledge's corner.

League One Swindon moved into the fourth round with a 3-1 win over Championship Burnley.

Paul Benson (19) and Andy Williams (42) gave the Robins a 2-0 half-time lead.

Although Charlie Austin pulled one back (74), Troy Archibald-Henville sealed the win with seven minutes remaining.

Jay Rodriguez scored in the 30th minute and with a penalty 12 minutes from time as Southampton beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 at St Mary's.

Middlesbrough beat Preston 3-1 at Deepdale.

Two goals up after 18 minutes through Emmanuel Ledesma and Marouane Zemmama, Boro were under some pressure when Jack King scored for the Lilywhites five minutes before the break.

However, Richard Smallwood put the tie beyond their reach with half an hour left.

A goal seconds from the end of extra time saw Bradford secure a 3-2 win over Burton.

Billy Kee (18) and Aaron Webster (29) gave the visitors a two-goal lead but two goals by Nahki Wells in the final seven minutes sent the game into extra time.

A Stephen Darby screamer with just seconds left before penalties then sent Bradford through.