Palace deny Bolton permission to speak to Freedman

Dougie Freedman
Crystal Palace manager Dougie Freedman won Championship Manager of the Month for September. Photo: PA

Crystal Palace have refused Bolton permission to speak to their manager Dougie Freedman.

This morning Wanderers confirmed they had made an approach for Freedman as they seek a replacement for Owen Coyle.

But Palace made the rejection of their npower Championship rivals' advances public in a subsequent statement on their official website, www.cpfc.co.uk.

The statement read: "Crystal Palace can confirm that they have received a request from Bolton Wanderers to speak to Dougie Freedman regarding their vacant manager's position.

"Permission has not been granted for Dougie to speak to Bolton."

Having being contacted by Press Association Sport in the wake of Palace's rejection, Bolton confirmed they will be making no further public comment on the matter today.

Former Palace striker Freedman succeeded George Burley at Selhurst Park in January 2011 and led them to the semi-finals of the Carling Cup last season.

The London outfit are currently fourth in the Championship table, 12 places ahead of Bolton, who dismissed Coyle earlier this month on the back of a faltering start to their bid for an instant return to the Barclays Premier League.

Wanderers caretaker manager Jimmy Phillips masterminded a dramatic 3-2 comeback win over Bristol City on Saturday and he revealed attempts to bring Freedman to the north west were under way following weekend discussions with chairman Phil Gartside.

"Phil said from the outset he'd be open and honest with us and he came to the training ground yesterday and said he had made contact with Palace to speak to Dougie Freedman," Phillips said.

Phillips' attentions now turn towards tomorrow night's trip to Wolves and the 46-year-old ex-Bolton defender insists he and his staff are prepared for all eventualities leading up to Saturday's game at Middlesbrough and beyond.

"We've said all along, Phil and Eddie (Davies, the owner) will be the people who pick the next manager of Bolton Wanderers.

"It won't be for anybody to put their names in the ring and suggest they want to be manager.

"In the meantime we said we would work our hardest to get the best out of the players.

"I certainly think in the eight days we worked with them prior to Bristol City we did get the best out of them and that's what we've got to continue to do.

"We've got our training schedule set out for the Middlesbrough game. We've even thought about the week beyond that, which days we're going to be training the players, which days they might be able to get a day off.

"We'll change the football element of the training as we see fit from whatever problems we see in games and whatever we think we've got to be wary of from the opposition.

"So we've got everything planned. How far our plans will go, well, we'll see. Time will tell."