Round-up: Championship

Peter Whittingham
Peter Whittingham scored a penalty for Cardiff. Photo: PA

Aron Gunnarsson headed an injury-time winner to keep Cardiff level-pegging with Leicester at the top of the npower Championship after a dramatic 2-1 win over nine-man Watford in south Wales.

Tommie Hoban had fired the visitors into a shock 28th-minute lead but the game changed after Daniel Pudil was sent off for violent conduct after 63 minutes, and Peter Whittingham equalised from the penalty spot eight minutes later.

Nathaniel Chalobah was also dismissed for the Hornets after 71 minutes for a second bookable offence, and the Bluebirds grabbed the points in the dying seconds when Gunnarsson headed home a Craig Noone cross.

Nigel Pearson's Leicester stay top on goal difference after Andy King's 10th-minute strike was enough to give the Foxes a 1-0 win over Brighton, for whom Ashley Barnes had a 53rd-minute penalty saved by Kasper Schmeichel.

Dougie Freedman's departure from Crystal Palace, to become Bolton's new manager, was confirmed earlier in the day. Tonight Bolton's Mark Davies struck an injury-time equaliser to rescue a point for the Trotters in a 2-2 draw at Wolves.

Benik Afobe had put Bolton in front after 21 minutes but a double from Kevin Doyle, who scored in the 27th and 30th minutes, looked to have given Wolves the points until Davies slammed home from the edge of the box.

Freedman's former side Palace also had to settle for a point in a 1-1 draw against Barnsley at Oakwell. Glenn Murray put the Eagles in front after 11 minutes but David Perkins equalised from long range four minutes from time.

Paul Jewell's future as Ipswich manager looked bleak after his side blew an early lead to lose 2-1 to his former employers Derby at Portman Road.

DJ Campbell gave beleaguered Jewell a boost with a 24th-minute opener but Theo Robinson equalised five minutes from half-time then Conor Sammon set up Nathan Tyson to net an injury-time winner for the visitors.

To make matters worse for Jewell, he saw his side slump to the bottom of the table after Peterborough pulled off a shock 3-1 win over Huddersfield. George Boyd's double and one for Kgosi Ntlhe won it for Posh, before Adam Hammill hit a consolation.

Chris McCann headed the winner six minutes into injury-time as managerless Burnley grabbed a 4-3 win over Bristol City in an extraordinary finish to their game at Ashton Gate.

Charlie Austin's 14th of the season for Burnley was cancelled out by a Steven Davies free-kick, before Austin's second and a strike from Martin Paterson put the Clarets 3-1 up with an hour gone.

Sam Baldock reduced the deficit from the spot, then Paul Anderson snatched what appeared to be a point-earning equaliser for the Robins in the first minute of added time - before McCann's dramatic intervention.

Marlon King scored a hat-trick as Birmingham fought back from 3-0 down to earn a 3-3 draw at Millwall. Chris Wood's double and one from Chris Taylor put the Lions 3-0 up inside 18 minutes, before King started the recovery in first-half injury-time.

Neil Warnock's Leeds stuttered to a 1-1 draw with Charlton at Elland Road, David Norris putting the hosts in front in the 37th minute before Dorian Dervite equalised five minutes into the second half.

Blackpool staged a late comeback to see off Nottingham Forest 2-1 at Bloomfield Road. Billy Sharp put Forest in front but substitute Elliot Grandin equalised after 70 minutes and set up Gary Taylor-Fletcher for the winner five minutes later.

Middlesbrough maintained their solid home form this season with a 2-0 home win over fellow promotion hopefuls Hull. Faris Haroun scored the opener after 58 minutes and Ishmael Miller grabbed the second eight minutes later.