Thompson wants Blackpool job

Steve Thompson was in charge for the game against Derby. Photo: PA

Steve Thompson made an impassioned plea to take over as the new manager of Blackpool when he urged chairman Karl Oyston not to judge his claim to the job on a sorry 4-1 capitulation at Derby.

Thompson took over as caretaker manager only four and a half hours before kick-off following Ian Holloway's move to Crystal Palace.

Defeat made it only one win and five points in eight games for the Seasiders although victory takes their hosts into 11th, just three points off the play-offs.

Thompson admitted the team were badly affected and said: "It came as a bad blow after a very difficult week and you could see in that performance how much it took out of the side.

"But I would not like to think that any decision on my future will be based solely on what happened in one match."

The former Bolton, Burnley and Leicester player has been at Blackpool as assistant manager for five years and he hopes this will lend weight to his application.

He added: "I'd like to think that the things the club has achieved in this period will be remembered because I believe I have played an important part.

"It is all up to the chairman but I will get another chance to show my credentials when we play away to Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday.

"The team that plays there will be the one I pick and I would expect the hard words and home truths spoken in our dressing room after this performance to have the desired effect."

Asked whether he might follow Holloway to Palace, Thompson insisted: "No. I will not be going there.

"Olly has taken Keith Millen to Palace with him and my only priority is making sure we are in the right frame of mind to give a true picture of our quality against Wednesday.

"It is not long ago that these players were getting rave reviews. They are the same players but we need to sort a few things out defensively to start moving back in the right direction again."

Derby manager Nigel Clough demonstrated he possesses a streak of the toughness which made his father one of the game's most celebrated managers when he took off Theo Robinson as the striker set his sights on a hat-trick.

A smart strike in the 11th minute and a superb break and finish in the 53rd set Derby up for a punishing win.

But with Robinson straining at the leash for a third goal and a constant menace to a ponderous defence, Clough called him off and sent on Nathan Tyson for the last 24 minutes - much to the player's obvious disappointment.

"He was on a hat-trick so he wasn't exactly chuffed about it," admitted Clough.

"But he had been carrying a bit of a strain in training and with a game here against Barnsley on Tuesday it made sense to bring him off. If he's disappointed about it, he can score a hat-trick against them."

From start to last Blackpool were dominated by an eager and inventive Derby side and it took only 11 minutes for Robinson to sweep in a right-wing cross from the dangerous Paul Coutts.

Full-back John Brayford drove home another Coutts cross in the 31st minute and although Blackpool hit back with a 48th minute penalty from Tom Ince following a hand-ball offence by Richard Keogh, the revival was short-lived.

Robinson got his second goal five minutes later and Coutts again escaped on the right to set up Connor Sammon to tap in Derby's fourth goal at the far post in the 64th minute.

"It was the complete performance, exhilarating," said Clough. "We did everything right to take advantage of a difficult situation for Blackpool."