QPR manager Harry Redknapp praised chairman Tony Fernandes for persuading Marseille striker Loic Remy to complete an £8million move to Loftus Road.
Redknapp is also confident of sealing a £7million deal for Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila in the next couple of days and the pair are expected to go straight into the Rangers squad for the weekend Barclays Premier League clash with West Ham.
Redknapp expects the Remy deal to be formally announced today after the player passed a medical and agreed personal terms.
But Redknapp, who tried to sign Remy when in charge of Tottenham, admitted he had virtually given up trying to sign the player.
Redknapp said: "Remy had a medical which went fine and the personal stuff is all sorted.
"I'd given up to be honest. The chairman Tony Fernandes did it to be honest, not me.
"I went over to Marseille last week and he (Remy) wasn't keen, I don't think. I did speak to him about a couple of players we were looking to bring in.
"He was excited by that and then the chairman worked ever so hard. He wouldn't give up on it and Remy decided he wanted to come.
"I watched him so many times when I was at Tottenham. The fee then was around about £20million. He's a good buy for us.
"He's quick, a French international, his movement is excellent and he has the potential to be a real star in the Premier League.
"Newcastle United wanted him and [their chief scout] Graham Carr doesn't make too many mistakes. Graham's got good judgement."
On M'Vila, Redknapp added: "I also liked M'Vila when I was at Tottenham.
"He's 22, played against England a couple of years ago for France, and was fantastic.
"Arsenal and Spurs made offers for him. I promise you that. They (Rennes) turned down £28million from an English club for him a year ago.
"Spurs offered £15million for him in August. The deal looks okay.
"M'Vila's had a few problems off the field problems. If he behaves himself, and plays as we know he can, he'll do well."
Redknapp is still hopeful of signing Tottenham midfielder Jake Livermore on loan but says he is unlikely to renew his interest in West Brom duo Jonas Olsson and Peter Odemwingie.
Redknapp also confirmed he will allow striker Djibril Cisse to leave during the January transfer window.
Cisse was replaced at half-time during last night's FA Cup third-round replay at West Brom which QPR won 1-0 thanks to a second-half goal from Jay Bothroyd.
It secured Rangers a home tie with MK Dons in the fourth round.
Bothroyd returned earlier in the month from an unsuccessful loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday.
But the striker showed he has not lost his eye for a goal with his second-half header.
Redknapp said: "Jay Bothroyd did well. He was written off. He's been at Sheffield Wednesday and not done very well.
"They sent him back and I thought I'd give him a go and see what he could do.
"He did well but then again, he played for England a couple of years ago under Fabio Capello."
Baggies head coach Steve Clarke, whose side have now won only two of their last 11 matches in all competitions, added: "The squad's been stretched in recent weeks, the boys have done their best. Maybe the luck we had a few weeks ago has deserted us.
"But as a group, we know what we are trying to do. There's no better team to try and turn it around than against Aston Villa at the weekend."