Luton Town join cast of FA Cup giant-killers

Hereford heroes Ronnie Radford and Ricky George bask in the glow of a win over Newcastle in 1972. Photo: PA

Scott Rendell was the goal hero as Luton Town beat Norwich City to cause a major FA Cup shock.

The Blue Square Premier side beat their Barclays Premier League opponents 1-0 at Carrow Road to reach the fifth round.

Here Press Association Sport picks out more notable FA Cup upsets:


Coventry arrived in Surrey in January 1989, just 18 months after winning the 1987 FA Cup, and were riding high in the top flight. It appeared to be a case of 'no contest' against the non-league team.

But they were left stunned as Tony Rains and Matthew Hanlan became the goalscoring heroes for a team fashioned by English teacher Barrie Williams.

Both Rains and Hanlan became instant celebrities, each appearing on Terry Wogan's chat show the following Monday.


In 1992 the Gunners were the reigning league champions, Wrexham were bottom of the old fourth division - there was only going to be one result at the Racecourse Ground.

Arsenal had taken the lead through Alan Smith but with 10 minutes to go 37-year-old Mickey Thomas unleashed a 25-yard free-kick past David Seaman for the equaliser.

The Welsh side could sense an upset and Steve Watkin popped up late on to score the winner and send their illustrious opponents crashing out.


The Southern League side had earned a glorious 2-2 draw at St James' Park in February 1972 and were given little chance of emulating that feat in the replay.

It was all going to plan when Newcastle took the lead in a game which had been constantly postponed by bad weather.

But Hereford grew stronger as the match went on and Ronnie Radford equalised with a 40-yard thunderbolt to take the game into extra time. Then Ricky George hit the winner.


This game in 1975 marked Wimbledon's arrival as a team capable of causing a shock or two because of their feisty attitude.

They had barely started their remarkable journey from the Southern League to the top flight but were already making waves.

Micky Mahon stunned Burnley to grab the winner but the hero was goalkeeper Dicky Guy, who made a string of superb saves.


Barnsley skipper Brian Howard's injury-time strike sent Liverpool crashing out of the FA Cup in 2008 as the Tykes earned a quarter-final place with a stunning upset at Anfield.

The Reds led through Dirk Kuyt's goal but on-loan goalkeeper Luke Steele produced a string of outstanding saves before Stephen Foster headed Barnsley level just after the hour.

The game looked headed for extra time but Howard stunned the home side with his late winner.


Dave Beasant became the first goalkeeper to lift the FA Cup after famously saving a penalty from striker John Aldridge in the 1988 final.

That proved to be the turning point in a game which was expected to be no more than a stroll in the park for Liverpool.

But Wimbledon, true to form, scrapped and battled for every ball, with Lawrie Sanchez heading the winner following a free-kick from Dennis Wise.


Languishing near the bottom of the Football League in early 2003, Shrewsbury turned the form book on its head thanks to two goals from Nigel Jemson.

He smashed home a 38th-minute free-kick and then, after substitute Niclas Alexandersson had levelled on the hour, glanced an 89th-minute header past Richard Wright to seal a famous victory.

But that was the only highlight of the season for Shrewsbury, who were relegated to the Nationwide Conference in May.