Queens Park Rangers winger Shaun Wright-Phillips will play no further part in the club's relegation battle following ankle surgery.
The 31-year-old underwent surgery on his right ankle earlier this week and will now play no further part in Rangers' increasingly desperate bid to avoid relegation to the npower Championship.
Manager Harry Redknapp told the club's official website www.qpr.co.uk: "Shaun has had an operation. It needed doing, we tried to keep him going.
"He's played with the pain and not felt 100 per cent. He couldn't train or play to his maximum. The pain was too much and he will hopefully be back at the start of next season now."
Redknapp added: "We had wanted to try and keep him going but he couldn't carry on. When he has played he has done well but I don't think he felt he was capable of giving his maximum.
"Hopefully he will come back fully fit and ready for next season."
The former England international confirmed the surgery in a short Twitter posting, showing a picture of his bandaged right ankle. Wright-Phillips said the operation was a success.
He was not in QPR's matchday squad for their defeat at Fulham on Monday night, which left Harry Redknapp's team seven points from safety with seven rounds of matches remaining and an inferior goal difference to all teams but Aston Villa.
He wrote on Twitter: "Had my ankle surgery this morning all went well. Thanx 4 your kind wishes truly appreciate it all."