England v Republic of Ireland: Five memorable past meetings

Ray Houghton's goal sealed an Irish victory at the 1988 European Championships in Germany. Photo: Sven Simon/DPA/Press Association Images

As England get set to take on the Republic of Ireland for a 15th time, here is a look at five previous encounters between the two countries:

September 30 1946: Republic of Ireland 0-1 England

Just over a year after World War II had come to an end, England and Ireland met for the first time in front of 32,000 at Dalymount Park in Dublin, home of Bohemians. Sir Tom Finney, who had spent the war in the Royal Armoured Corps, scored England's winner eight minutes from time.

June 12 1988: England 0-1 Republic of Ireland

Sir Bobby Robson's Euro '88 campaign got off to the worst possible start after Ray Houghton gave the Republic a shock win in their first appearance at a major international tournament. Kenny Sansom failed to clear Tony Galvin's cross properly and the ball ballooned up to John Aldridge, who headed it to Houghton and he nodded past Peter Shilton to give the Irish a famous win in Stuttgart.

English football was shamed by the behaviour of the rioting fans at Lansdowne Road in 1995. Credit: Steve Morton/EMPICS Sport

November 14 1990: Republic of Ireland 1-1 England

A sign of what was to come five years later. Over 100 people were arrested as England and Ireland fans clashed in Dublin after the game. On the pitch David Platt tapped in Lee Dixon's cross to put England ahead, but substitute Tony Cascarino headed past Chris Woods to equalise before being mobbed by ecstatic home fans who ran on to the pitch at Lansdowne Road.

March 27 1991: England 1-1 Republic of Ireland

Lee Dixon was hardly known for his scoring prowess, but he did score a crucial goal for England - his only international strike - to put the Three Lions ahead after nine minutes. Niall Quinn denied England victory just before half-time, though, scoring an equaliser in the Euro '92 qualifier at Wembley.

February 15 1995: Republic of Ireland 1-0 England (match abandoned due to crowd trouble)

The most memorable match between the two nations - but for all the wrong reasons. The game at Lansdowne Road had to be abandoned after 27 minutes when England fans in the upper west stand, annoyed at seeing their team go 1-0 down, started ripping up seats and benches before hurling them at home supporters below. Twenty supporters were injured in the incident, which is still regarded by many as the darkest night for English football. It later emerged that far-right groups such as Combat 18 had bought tickets for the match to cause trouble. Republic manager Jack Charlton could not hide his fury, saying afterwards: "Every Englishman should be ashamed." Terry Venables, then in charge of England, described the night as "sickening."