Suarez will not force exit from Liverpool

Suarez wants to play Champions League football. Photo: PA

Liverpool have been told striker Luis Suarez wants to play Champions League football but he will not yet try to force through a move.

The Uruguay international's agent Pere Guardiola, brother of new Bayern Munich coach Pep, revealed as much in scheduled meetings with Reds managing director Ian Ayre and manager Brendan Rodgers yesterday.

It was the first formal communication the club had received from either the player or his representative since the 26-year-old went public on his dislike of his treatment by the English media and the lure of Real Madrid.

ITV Football understands that while no transfer request was made Guardiola said Suarez would at least like to consider playing elsewhere.

Liverpool remain steadfast in their stance that last season's 30-goal forward is not for sale but anyone bidding £40million would have the chance to speak to him, although the club insist that figure does not represent a buy-out clause.

The Reds have maintained a good relationship with Guardiola during an eventful two-and-a-half years at Anfield and the discussions were amicable.

However, it is expected Guardiola will now spend the next couple of weeks trying to find a buyer for Suarez - with Madrid still the favourites - and will then notify Liverpool of any interest.

While the Merseysiders do not want to sell they would be likely to value Suarez around £50million, significantly higher than the £30million bid from Arsenal which was rejected last week.

Suarez is on extended leave after international duty in the Confederations Cup in Brazil and is not due to return for training until July 22.

By that time the rest of his team-mates will have completed the first leg of their pre-season tour in Indonesia and the striker could be requested to join up for games in Melbourne and Thailand.