Arsenal boss Wenger not willing to risk Ramsey

Aaron Ramsey has been out for a while. Photo: PA

Manager Arsene Wenger knows Arsenal must be patient with Aaron Ramsey's recovery and not risk rushing the Wales midfielder back into action too soon.

Ramsey enjoyed a superb first half of the campaign, scoring 13 goals, but has not featured since coming off at West Ham on Boxing Day because of a thigh problem.

Wenger confirmed after Tuesday night's frustrating 2-2 home draw against Swansea, where the Gunners conceded a last-minute own goal from Mathieu Flamini, Ramsey had suffered a "little setback" in his rehabilitation.

Saturday's visit of Barclays Premier League title challengers Manchester City had been pencilled in for a return, but Wenger confirmed to the club's official website on Thursday there would be no quick recovery for the dynamic Welshman.

"Compared to Tuesday night, we have no new injuries and no-one coming back as well," said Wenger, who is also without the likes of Jack Wilshere and club-record signing Mesut Ozil.

"(Nacho) Monreal should be the first one back in training because he is just starting to run in the next few days. After him, Ramsey is progressing well, but we need to be patient for a few more weeks."

Arsenal tackle a rampant City side in need of a performance following the disappointing ending to Tuesday night's match, which for a spell had seemed set to draw a line under the 6-0 humiliation at Chelsea which ruined Wenger's 1,000th match in charge.

The Gunners boss, however, accepts there is little option other than to look to regroup once more in spite of all the questions which have again been left unanswered.

"We have to do that (restore belief) as well as we can and accept our position at the end of the season, but at the moment [our focus] is to recover from a high disappointment and recover for the next game. It is a huge game," said Wenger.

Arsenal have yet to announce any firm decision on Wenger's own future, or indeed that of full-back Bacary Sagna, who is out of contract in the summer and is reportedly attracting interest from both Manchester City and Inter Milan after the veteran France international was said to have rejected a two-year extension.