Former Italy manager Cesare Prandelli holds talks with Galatasaray

Prandelli
Prandelli left Italy after their first round World Cup exit. Photo: PA

Galatasaray have begun talks with former Italy coach Cesare Prandelli to become their next manager, the Turkish side announced on Thursday.

The Istanbul outfit, who last week revealed they had held an "exchange of ideas" with former Manchester United manager David Moyes, are looking for a new coach after parting company with Italian tactician Roberto Mancini last month.

Prandelli resigned as Italy coach last week after the national team's 1-0 defeat to Uruguay at the World Cup that saw them exit the competition early.

A statement from Galatasaray read: "Galatasaray Sportif has announced that they have begun negotiating with the Italian football manager Cesare Prandelli.

"The public will be updated about further developments."

Mancini
The Turkish club have been searching for a replacement for Mancini. Credit: PA

The 56-year-old Prandelli, who had two years left in his contract with the Italian football federation, guided Roma and Fiorentina before replacing Marcello Lippi at the helm of Italy in 2010.

He led the Azzurri to finish runners-up in Euro 2012 and a third-place finish in last year's Confederation Cup.

Former Everton and Manchester United manager Moyes was recently considered a candidate to take over at the Turk Telekom Arena.

A spokesman for Galatasaray said last week that Moyes had met the club president before adding: ''They just spoke to each other, exchanging ideas - that it is it. It is true the president talked with David Moyes."

At that time, the spokesman said Germany coach Joachim Low and United States counterpart Jurgen Klinsmann were their preferred options.

Mancini led Galatasaray into second place in the Super Lig behind Fenerbahce and also won the Turkish Cup but left after one season in charge.