Premier League live updates

Advertisement

Swansea sign striker Oliveira on loan from Benfica to cover for Bony loss

Portugal
Oliveira played for Portugal at Euro 2012. Credit: PA

Portugal striker Nelson Oliveira will join Swansea City until the end of the season on January 1.

Oliveira, who has won 14 caps for his country and played for Portugal at Euro 2012, joins from Benfica where he has struggled to make an impact since first breaking into the first-team as a teenager.

The 23-year-old's arrival solves a problem for Swansea manager Garry Monk who will lose top scorer Wilfried Bony to the African Nations Cup next month.

Ivory Coast striker Bony could miss up to six games in January and February and Bafetimbi Gomis is the only other recognised senior striker in the squad.

"I'm really looking forward to it,'' Oliveira told Swansea's official website.

"I already know quite a bit about Swansea and it was their style of play and the ambience at the club that attracted me. It was an easy decision to make.

"The deal was agreed early so I can spend an extra 10 days in Swansea training with the squad and getting to know my new team-mates."

Pearson chooses not to appeal touchline ban for fan row

Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson has confirmed he will not appeal his touchline ban and thanked supporters in the wake of his fan row.

Pearson will serve a one-match touchline ban for their home clash with Tottenham on Boxing Day after being found guilty of misconduct.

He requested a personal hearing, which he had on Friday, after a heated exchange with a fan during Leicester's defeat to Liverpool earlier this month.

"No I'm not, I can't see any reason to," he said, when asked if he was appealing.

"I decided to go along to the personal hearing, which intrigued me to see how it went, so we'll get on with it now.

"I have been overwhelmed by the level of support from within the game.

"From managers, players, ex-colleagues and members of the media, it has been overwhelming."

Advertisement

Load more updates