Barcelona live updates

Lionel Messi refuses to be substituted by Luis Enrique

Lionel Messi showed manager Luis Enrique who's the boss at Barcelona after refusing to be substituted during a league match.

Enrique signalled for Messi to come off after 76 minutes of Saturday's 3-0 win over Eibar, but was forced to replace Neymar instead when Messi made it clear he wouldn't leave the field.

Former Barca star Frank de Boer later said:

"Leo also has great experience so he knows how he is physically. but when the coach says one thing, you have to listen."

Messi closing on La Liga record

Leo Messi
Leo Messi is pretty good at the old football. Credit: PA

Lionel Messi racked up his 250th Primera Division goal as he celebrated the 10-year anniversary of his Barcelona debut with a 3-0 win over Eibar.

Messi rounded off the scoring at the Nou Camp to keep the Catalans top of the table ahead of next week's El Clasico.

The Argentinian set up the opener for Xavi just before the hour-mark before Neymar volleyed in a second.

Messi's strike took him to within one of former Athletic Bilbao striker Telmo Zarra's record of 251 Primera Division goals and opened up the opportunity for him to become the league's all-time leading marksman next weekend at the home of arch-rivals Real Madrid.

Advertisement

Suarez has no regrets over Evra incident

Suarez
Suarez will make his debut against Real Madrid. Credit: PA

Luis Suarez has told fcbarcelona.com he has no regrets about the incident which resulted in an eight match ban after he was found guilty of racially abusing Patrice Evra in 2011.

Speaking less than two weeks before he's expected to make a competitive debut for Barcelona, having sat out the season's first two months after biting Giorgio Chiellini, the former Liverpool striker said:

When I say I’m sorry it’s because I regret something. Being sorry implies regret. But they have also sometimes judged me on things that aren’t true, such as the racism thing. I was accused without evidence and that’s what grieved me the most. The others were actions when it was me who did wrong. I accepted that and begged forgiveness, but the racism thing, when I was accused without evidence, that did upset me.

– Barcelona striker Luis Suarez

Advertisement

Transfer rumour: Liverpool move for Victor Valdes as Mignolet fails to convince

Victor Valdes LFC
Victor Valdes. Credit: PA

Liverpool are set to make a move for 32-year-old former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes, who is currently a free agent, to put pressure on the club's current No.1 Simon Mignolet.

Mignolet has looked less than convincing so far this season, and manager Brendan Rodgers believes the Spanish keeper's experience could be very valuable at Anfield.

Arroyo: We need to comfort Luis Suarez

Barcelona vice president Manel Arroyo insists Luis Suarez has been treated with "normality" since his arrival at the Nou Camp following his summer switch from Liverpool.

Arroyo, speaking at the Nolan Partners Sport Industry Breakfast Club, is keen to put the latest of Suarez's disciplinary issues in the rear view mirror.

The player knows perfectly well what happened and the way to act.

What we need to do is comfort him as a huge player and that's all. Normality is the way we deal with these situations.

We are just concentrating on the future. What happened in the past, happened and the results we have now.

We are working with him and we are just hopeful he can make his debut against Real Madrid.

The image today of Suarez is of a huge player, there is not a huge debate about that. He received a penalty for what he did.

– Barcelona vice president Manel Arroyo

Suarez debut date set

Luis Suarez's debut for Barcelona is likely to come on Saturday October 25 against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

The striker - who switched to the Nou Camp from Liverpool earlier in the summer - is currently the subject of a worldwide ban after biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini while playing for Uruguay at the World Cup.

Load more updates