Bayern Munich live updates

Alonso poised to complete Bayern switch

Alonso
Alonso leaves the office of a sports doctor after a check-up in Munich. Credit: PA

Xabi Alonso is poised to complete his move to Bayern Munich after Real Madrid confirmed on Friday an agreement had been struck between the two clubs for the former Spain international.

Bayern's financial director Jan-Christian Dreesen revealed on Thursday that an agreement for the 32-year-old midfielder had been struck ''in principle", with the 2010 World Cup winner due in Munich later in the day for a medical and to discuss terms.

Advertisement

Benatia: Bayern move a dream

Medhi Benatia has described joining Bayern Munich as a dream come true and emphasised his excitement at working under coach Pep Guardiola.

I'm delighted that my transfer to Bayern has finally come off. It dragged out a bit and there were times when I thought it might fall through. But Guardiola desperately wanted me and I'm really looking forward to working with him.

He's a fantastic trainer.

Bayern have so many great players. They have such a strong squad and it's a dream to be part of it.

– Mehdi Benatia speaking to Sport1

Bayern Munich tie up Benatia transfer

Benatia
Benatia has joined the German Champions. Credit: PA

German champions Bayern Munich have won the race to sign highly-rated defender Mehdi Benatia from Roma.

The 27-year-old Morocco international had reportedly been a target for both Arsenal and Manchester United after excelling at the Stadio Olimpico to help Roma finish second in the Serie A table last season.

But Bundesliga giants Bayern have now secured his services for the next five years.

A statement published on the club's official website read: "On Tuesday afternoon the German champions reached an agreement with Roma over the transfer of Mehdi Benatia. Both clubs have agreed not to disclose the transfer fee.

"Benatia will come to Munich in the next few days to undergo a medical. The central defender will then sign a five-year contract."

Schweinsteiger out for a month

Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger is set to miss the start of the Bundesliga season and Germany's next two international fixtures, according to his club's chairman.

Speaking in Munich on Tuesday, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said the knee injury which Schweinsteiger aggravated during a pre-season match in the United States was likely to sideline the World Cup winner until mid-September.

Advertisement

Bayern Munich back in the transfer market after Javi Martinez injury blow

Javi Bayern injury
Javi floored with a cruciate injury. Credit: PA

Bayern Munich are to scour the market for a new defender following the injury to Javi Martinez in the German Supercup.

The Spaniard tore his anterior cruciate ligament after clashing with Borussia Dortmund's Marcel Schmelzer in the game won 2-0 by the Westphalians.

Bayern had previously said they would be signing no more players this summer, but with Martinez ruled out for six months, they have reassessed that.

"We can all see that we now have to do something," said the club's technical director Michael Reschke to Sport1. "We're going to make some considerations."

Van Buyten calls it a day

Former Manchester City defender Daniel Van Buyten has announced his retirement from football.

The 36-year-old, who played for Belgium at the World Cup in Brazil, was released by Bayern Munich at the end of last season but, despite attracting interest from Brussels club Anderlecht, he has decided to call time on his career.

Martinez ruled out for remainder of 2014

Martinez
Martinez will be a big miss for the German champions. Credit: PA

Bayern Munich midfielder Javi Martinez will not play again this year after suffering cruciate knee ligament damage during Wednesday's German Supercup defeat to Borussia Dortmund.

A Bayern statement read: "Javi Martinez and Bayern's worst fears have been realised after it was revealed the midfielder sustained a ruptured cruciate ligament in his left knee in Wednesday evening's Supercup clash in Dortmund.

"The diagnosis was issued on Thursday after the player underwent a medical conducted by FCB chief medical officer Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt and team doctor Dr Peter Ueblacker.

"Martinez will be out of action for at least the rest of this year."

Load more updates