Brighton live updates

Konchesky deal falls through

PA Sport understands a proposed move to Brighton for Leicester defender Paul Konchesky has fallen though.

The former England international's wages are thought to have been a stumbling block but the left-back also preferred to remain with the Foxes rather than join their Sky Bet Championship rivals.

Advertisement

Brighton off the mark

Andrew Crofts scored the only goal of the game. Credit: PA

Andy Crofts' second-half goal earned Brighton their first win of the season at the expense of Birmingham.

Birmingham, who also lost their opening home match 1-0 to Watford, could count themselves unlucky as they twice hit the woodwork in the second half but it was Crofts' clinical 73rd-minute strike which proved the difference as new Brighton coach Oscar Garcia celebrated his maiden win in the hotseat.

Advertisement

Lopez agrees new Brighton contract

Brighton's David Lopez has put pen to paper on a new deal which will keep him at the Amex Stadium for another year.

Despite appearing to be on his way out at the end of last season after an initial deal was withdrawn, the former Athletic Bilbao midfielder will now be staying at the club.

The 30-year-old Spaniard, who was signed by former manager Gus Poyet, scored an impressive nine goals for the Seagulls in just 27 starts last season as they narrowly missed out on a Premier League spot.

Poyet loses dismissal appeal

Gus Poyet has lost his appeal against his sacking by Brighton, the club have confirmed.

Poyet was axed for gross misconduct last month having previously been suspended by the club in the aftermath of the play-off defeat by Crystal Palace.

Poyet was axed for gross misconduct last month having previously been suspended by the club in the aftermath of the play-off defeat by Crystal Palace.

Following a suspension, investigation, disciplinary meeting, and separate appeal hearing, which was conducted by three members of the club's board in London on July 11 and July 12 2013, Brighton & Hove Albion today confirmed that after further consideration Gus Poyet's dismissal for gross misconduct has been upheld.

The panel's decision was delivered to Gus Poyet and his advisers a short time ago.

– Official Brighton statement on the club's website.

Oatway departs Seagulls

Brighton have announced first-team coach Charlie Oatway, who was suspended by the club along with Gus Poyet last month, has left by mutual consent.

Manager Poyet, his assistant Mauricio Taricco and Oatway were told to stay away from the club pending an internal inquiry in the aftermath of the play-off semi-final defeat by Crystal Palace.

Poyet has since been sacked - although he has said he will appeal against the decision - and replaced by Oscar Garcia, while Taricco had his suspension lifted before leaving by mutual consent last week.

Load more updates