Phil says: "Basically anything goes here. I had a cracker recently at Atlanta airport, I like the fact that I felt really full and satisfied with a salad. I add ham to mine sometimes, also plenty of dressing. The thing to remember is to chop the ingredients as small as possible. The end result should be really packed full of texture and flavour."
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: none
4 small, ripe tomatoes
½ large cucumber, deseeded with a teaspoon
4 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
1 iceberg lettuce
2 large carrots, peeled
4 tbsp honey roast peanuts, finely chopped
4 hard boiled eggs optional
4 tbsp chopped chives
For the dressing:
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp safflower or sunflower oil
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 level tsp castor sugar
1. Slice and chop the tomatoes, into small pieces.
2. Very finely slice the cucumber and chop the into the same size as the tomato flesh.
3. Next, finely slice the iceberg and add to the tomatoes and the cucumber, along with the shallots.
4. Finely slice the carrots, then chop the same size again and add to the rest.
5. Finally add the nuts, finely chopped eggs and chives.
6. Really mix well and chill.
7. Meanwhile make the dressing by placing all the ingredients into a bowl and whisking together.
8. After a couple of minutes, the mustard will emulsify the oil and vinegar and you will end up with a thickish dressing.
9. Pour over the chilled salad and really mix well.
10. Season with salt and pepper and serve straight away.
11. If you are going to eat at a later time then season and add the dressing at the last moment.
See also: Phil's Southern fried chicken