Corrie's Antony Cotton is back with a favourite winter warmer - his meat and potato pie!
500g diced beef
4 baking potatoes
1 large onion.
1/2 pint beef stock
1/2 pint chicken stock
Sprig of rosemary
Sprig of thyme
Half cup of red wine.
Splash of Worcester sauce
1. Brown the 500g of beef and onion in a large pan. Add red wine, beef and chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a fierce boil and leaving boiling for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to minimum and cover. Cook on a low heat for a 2-3 hours until the meat is soft and tender.
2. Meanwhile cut the potatoes into chunks - about 5cm cubes - and boil until they are soft. Take half and set aside. Mash the remaining half.
3. Take the mashed potatoes and stir into the meat pan. Then add the other unmashed potatoes being careful not to break them up too much.
4. Transfer this mixture into a deep square dish to give 4 generous pie quarters.
5. Cover with shortcrust pastry. With any remaining pastry, form the initials of each pie-eater! Place the letters on top. Coat in egg wash and put in the oven at 190C/375F/ Gas mark 5 for 30 minutes.
6. Serve with pickled red cabbage and gravy!