1 large cauliflower, broken into small florets, the size of a large walnut
1 head broccoli, broken into smaller florets
1 onion, peeled and chopped finely
1 pint of milk
½ tsp fresh nutmeg
2 bay leaves
75g plain flour
200g grated extra strong Cheddar cheese, plus a little extra for the top
2 tsp English mustard
200g sunblush tomatoes, roughly chopped
1. Heat the milk and add the onion, nutmeg and bay leaves and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
2. In another pan heat the butter, then add the butter and bring together, then add the warm milk and whisk to the boil, then remove from the heat.
3. Off the heat stir in the cheese and mustard, then season well with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
4. Place a large pan of water on the stove and season well with salt, and then bring to the boil.
5. Once boiling add the broccoli and cook until slightly under done, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place into iced water. Repeat the process with the cauliflower.
6. Next, drain really well in a colander.
7. Arrange the cooked cauliflower and broccoli into a baking dish so it's nice and tight.
8. Sprinkle over the tomatoes and spoon over the sauce, then top with the extra cheese.
9. Brown under a hot grill or in a hot oven.
10. Serve with spicy mango chutney on the side and crusty bread.