3 aubergines, about 200g each, cut lengthways into 0.5cm slices
4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp skimmed milk
60g freshly grated parmesan
60g breadcrumbs, toasted
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast, about 100g each.
1 large onion, finely sliced
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
100g mozzarella, drained and sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/ gas mark 4 and preheat the grill to hot.
2. Pour 2 litres of water in a large saucepan with 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil.
3. Cook the aubergines in the boiling water for 2 minutes and drain. Allow to cool slightly, then pat dry with kitchen paper and place on a baking tray. Brush with a little oil and cook under a hot grill for 2 minutes on each side until browned.
4. Mix the egg and milk together. Mix the Parmesan and breadcrumbs together. Dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture and then coat with Parmesan breadcrumbs.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the coated breast for 2 minutes on each side until coloured. Drain on kitchen paper.
6. Heat the remaining olive oil in a medium saucepan and fry the onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Tip in the tomatoes with the oregano and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything together and continue to cook for a further five minutes.
7. Spoon the tomato mixture into a 2-litre shallow ovenproof dish and place the chicken breasts on top. Cover with overlapping layers of aubergine and mozzarella and then top with any remaining parmesan breadcrumbs.
8. Cook uncovered, in the centre of the oven for 35 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.