To celebrate Bond week, Phil Vickery is in the kitchen to make his Golden Pie filled with chicken, tarragon and peas!
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
500g block short pastry
8 boneless chicken thighs, skinned
2 chicken stock cubes
1 tsp ground turmeric or large pinch saffron
70g butter, very soft
70g plain flour
200g frozen peas, defrosted, strained
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
2 egg yolks
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp whipping cream (optional)
Gold leaf (optional)
1. Place the chicken thighs, stock cubes and turmeric or saffron into a saucepan and just cover with water.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and JUST falling apart with a little resistance.
3. Once cooked, strain the chicken off and measure the liquid that’s left - you will need a roughly a pint.
4. Mix the soft flour and butter together really well.
5. Place the stock back into the pan and bring to the boil. Once simmering whisk the flour and butter mixture in and re boil until you have a thick sauce (this is known as a veloute).
6. Check the seasoning and adjust.
7. Roughly pull the chicken apart and add to the veloute, then add the peas, tarragon and finally the egg yolks when the mix has cooled for a few minutes.
8. If you can chill at this point all the better, best overnight to tighten up the mix.
9. Cut the pastry into 2/3rd and 1/3rd then roll out the 2/3rd piece to fit a 24cm x 3-4cm deep loose bottomed flan ring. Line well and leave a nice lip on the top.
10. Remix the cold filling and spoon into the pastry base.
11. Roll out the top and brush the top lip with beaten egg.
12. Lay the top onto the base and seal and decorate.
13. Mix the egg yolk and cream (if using) together and add a pinch of salt (this will help to brown evenly and deeper colour).
14. Brush over well. Next add the gold leaf (if using) and stick down on the egg.
15. Make a small incision in the centre of the pie and bake on a metal tray in a preheated oven 180C gas 4 for 35-40 minutes.
16. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to set for 10 minutes.
17. Cut and serve!
With thanks to