She's our queen of quintessential British cooking and here with a mid-week must have of ham pie served with sage butter baked apples!
Serve this pie with Sage Butter Baked Apples
675g (1 ½ lb) ready-made shortcrust pastry
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large spanish onions, finely sliced
1 jar (approx. 300g) anti-pasta style artichokes, halved ( guys we could leave thess out if you wish )
300mls (1/2 pint) sour cream
2 level tablespoons grainy mustard
300g cooked ham
1 egg, beaten
freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / Gas Mark 6.
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry into a rectangle of about 8” x 12”. Transfer to a baking tray ( lined with bakewell paper) and relax in the fridge for 10 minutes.
2. Prick the base all over with a fork and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan heat the olive oil. Add the onions and gently fry for 15-20 minutes until softened and golden, then set to one side to cool completely. Add the artichokes and toss together.
4. In a small bowl or jug mix together the sour cream and mustard and season with black pepper.
5. To assemble, pile the onion mix onto the cooled pastry base, and spread evenly, leaving a 1cm border around the edge. Roughly tear over the ham and then spoon over the sour cream mix. Brush the pastry border with beaten egg.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining pastry into a blanket, large enough to cover the mixture and the base. Put the blanket over the pie base and gently press around the edges to form a seal. Mark this edge with a fork, if desired, before brushing the whole pie with egg glaze.
7. Return the pie to the oven for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden.