Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
200g natural smoked haddock fillet
200g salmon fillet
1 medium onion, chopped finely
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
4 tbsp plain flour
1 pint milk, skimmed
2 tbsp heaped cornflour
6 tbsp cold water
1 fish stock cube
100g sweetcorn, well drained
100g cooked peas
2 medium hard boiled eggs, chopped
4 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
For the topping:
400g cooked and warm mashed potatoes (made from 1kg raw potato)
200g cooked mashed parsnips
200ml skimmed milk, approximately
2 tbsp olive oil
100g packet dried breadcrumbs (natural)
1. Place the haddock and salmon together into a saucepan, add the milk and crumbled stock cube and bring to the boil.
2. Gently simmer for 3-4 minutes, do not overcook.
3. Once cooked, drain well in a colander and keep the milk.
4. Meanwhile, heat the 4 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the onions and cumin for a couple of minutes to soften.
5. Heat the milk to the saucepan and stir over a low heat.
6. Add the cornflour and water and heat until the mixture thickens.
7. Then remove from the heat and add the flaked cooked haddock, salmon, sweetcorn, peas, chopped boiled eggs and parsley.
8. Season well and carefully bring together, trying not to break up the fish.
9. Spoon into a 25x 15 x 4cm deep baking dish.
10. Make up the mashed potatoes and the parsnips adding the olive oil, then spoon over the cooked fish mixture (it's best to let the fish cool slightly then the potato will spoon over perfectly)
11. Finally top with the breadcrumbs and bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes to brown well.