400g stewing lamb
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
5 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp runny honey
5 tbspolive oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
100g button mushrooms
3 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 large potatoes, finely chopped
1 glass dry red wine
Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
1 glass water
Salt and pepper
For the cheesy mash
1kg potatoes (King Edward are best), peeled
150ml full-fat milk
100g freshly grated parmesan cheese
50g freshly grated cheddar cheese
100g salted butter
Salt and white pepper
1. Put the lamb with the rosemary, mint, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for about 4hours to marinate.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron casserole dish and fry the onions, mushrooms, celery and potatoes for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Add the lamb steaks along with the marinade, mix well and cook, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes, stirring all the while.
3. Add the wine and cook for about 2 minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate and add the chopped tomatoes. Add the water, season with salt and pepper, cover the casserole with a lid and cook over a low heat for about 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
To make the mash
1. Put the potatoes ina large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Cook until tender. Drain and mash in the saucepan.
2. Return the pan to a low heat and use a wooden spoon to stir in the milk and beat to a creamy texture. Add in the cheeses, the butter, season with salt and pepper and continue to stir for a further 3 minutes over a low heat, until the cheeses are completely melted. Serve immediately.
Get more Gino recipes
Get more casserole recipes
Get more lamb recipes