To make 8 latkes
2 potatoes, grated
Quarter of an onion, grated
1 and a half tbsp flour
Oil for frying
You can also add other ingredients such as fresh parsley or garlic if desired
1. Grate the potatoes on some kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture.
2. Grate the onion and add to the potato, then add the egg. Season with salt and pepper, then add the flour – and just mix it all up! In the New York Deli, the chefs wear gloves and use their hands.
3. Heat some oil in a pan. Make sure it’s hot then place a tablespoon of the mixture in - it should start frying immediately.
4. When your Latkes are browned on one side, flip them and brown the other.
5. When golden brown all over, remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
6. Serve with sour cream, or apple sauce. You could also serve with smoked salmon and a slice of lemon.