Chicken fricassee with sweetcorn and Mauritian potato salad
MasterChef's Shelina is back in the kitchen to brighten up our weekend with some sunshine filled recipes from Mauritius. Shelina cooked up a tasty chicken fricassee with sweetcorn, fresh coriander, garlic and thyme matched with a vibrant Mauritian potato salad.
Ingredients for Mauritian potato salad
6 medium King Edward potatoes, about 400g, unpeeled
4 carrots, unpeeled
4 large carrots, unpeeled
4 large eggs
4 large spring onions, finely chopped
50ml olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ tsp salt
Ingredients for chicken fricassee with sweetcorn
450g skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into large chunks
2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander stalks
8 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
2 bay leaves
550ml chicken stock
2 corn cobs, kernels sliced off
1 banana shallot, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the whole potatoes and carrots in a large pan of water over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then add the eggs and simmer for another 15 minutes. Carefully remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain the potatoes and carrots and leave to cool.
2. Peel the potatoes, carrots, and hard boiled eggs. Cut the potatoes and carrots into 1-cm slices and slice or quarter the eggs lengthways. Place in a large serving bowl and sprinkle over the onions.
3. Mix together the remaining ingredients in a bowl and then add to the potatoes, carrots and eggs. Mix gently, being careful not to break up the eggs and potatoes too much. Serve immediately or chill for up to two days.
4. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken for 5 minutes, turning frequently, until evenly browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Add the garlic, coriander stalks, thyme and bay leaves to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until the garlic starts to colour. Return the chicken to the pan, pour over the stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Add the sweetcorn kernels and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning and scatter over the thinly sliced shallot.