500g puff pastry
1 small onion, diced
500g sausage meat
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3. Roll out the pastry to a 30cm square
2. Melt butter in a frying pan, add the onion and cook gently for 5 - 10 minutes, until softened. Leave to cool.
3. Place the sausage mixture down the centre third of the pastry, leaving a border about 4cm empty at the top and bottom, then spoon the onions evenly on top of the sausage meat.
4. Cut slits in the pastry from about 3cm away from the sausage mixture to the edges, approx 2 cm wide.
5. Fold the top and bottom borders of pastry over the sausagemeat then take pastry strips from alternate sides and lie over the sausage meat to make a plait. Tuck any extra strips underneath. Glaze the plait with beaten egg.
6. Transfer to a baking tray and cook for 45 - 55 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.