6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
250g cubed pancetta
500g minced pork
2 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
1 x 400g tin cherry tomatoes
300g penne rigate
4 large eggs
50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and carrot for 5 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.
2. Add the pancetta with the minced pork and rosemary and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring continuously until coloured all over.
3. Pour in the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and continue to cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Once ready set aside to allow the sauce to cool to room temperature.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and add to the meat sauce. Stir well and leave to cool.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C / gas mark 4.
6. Break the eggs into the saucepan of the cooled pasta and add in the grated Parmesan. Mix together.
7. Brush the remaining oil over the sides and base of a 22cm roundish nonstick baking dish with sides about 5cm deep. Pour in the pasta mixcture and spread out evenly.
8. Cook in the centre of the preheated oven for 20 minutes until crispy and set.
9. Once cooked, leave it to rest for 5 minutes. It will be easier to cut and serve as the layers will hold together. Serve hot or cold.
Gino is back with Mel Sykes on Let's Do Lunch this July and wants to solve all your cookery problems! To ask Gino a question or challenge him on the show visit the Let's Do Lunch website
Try Gino's pasta with the following:
Young's Double Chocolate Stout 500ml, £2.15 per bottle
Mexicali Cave Creek Chili 33cl, £1.70 per bottle
Champagne Beer, £19.99
Banana Bread Beer, £3.29 per bottle
Mongozo Coconut 33cl, £2.10 per bottle