Gino's first stint of the new year in the this morning kitchen sees him making this tasty yet simple pasta dish, known in his native Italy as Pasta e piselli.
250g little pasta shells
200g frozen peas (defrosted)
150g sliced cooked ham (cut in small pieces)
2 onions (peeled and finely chopped)
1 tsp of dried chilli flakes
75g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp of olive oil
500ml vegetable stock
Salt to taste
1. In a large saucepan, fry the onions in the olive oil on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until golden. Add in the ham and continue to fry for a further 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
2. Add in the peas and the chilli and continue to cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Pour in the stock, lower the heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes with the lid half on.
4. Take the lid off and add in the pasta. Stir well and continue to cook on a low heat, without lid, for approx 8 minutes until the pasta start to soften. Stir every 2 minutes.
5. Once the pasta is cooked, crack in the eggs and continue to cook for a further minute stirring constantly.
6. At last, add in the Parmesan cheese, check if needs a little salt, stir well all together and serve immediately.