Phil Vickery's comforting crumble uses crisp Bramley apples for an intensely fruity flavour.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
4 large Bramley cooking apples
4 tbsp olive oil
zest and juice of 1 large lemon
175g unrefined castor sugar
2 pinches cinnamon powder
115g cold unsalted butter
225g plain flour
140g castor sugar
25g porridge oats
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 6.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into large chunks.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the lemon zest and juice, 175g sugar, cinnamon and then add the apples.
- Cook for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- Tip into a large baking dish say 20cm square, roughly.
- Place the cold butter and flour into a food processor and blitz until you have fine breadcrumbs.
- Tip into a bowl and stir through the sugar, carefully.
- Spoon over the top of the stewed apples and sprinkle over the oats.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until well browned.
- Serve with custard and, or ice cream.
Looking for a savoury starter? Try Phil's chunky sweet potato corn chowder and follow it with sweet and sour braised chicken thighs
Don't forget you can vote for This Morning and all your favourite shows at this year's National Television Awards