Phil Vickery cooks up a special sausage roll in honour of National Sausage Week!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
500g good quality sausage meat
1 small onion, chopped very finely
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 heaped tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp chilli powder
1 large lemon, zest and juice
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp chopped mint
3 tbsp chopped coriander
4 tbsp chopped cranberries
4 tbsp chopped dried apricots
4-6 heaped tbsp dried breadcrumbs
250g thick sheep yoghurt
1 bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp runny honey
1/3 small cucumber, finely grated
500g short crust pastry, ready rolled
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the onions, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coriander and chilli together for 10 minutes, then cool.
2. Place the meat, spices and onions, salt, pepper and mix well.
3. Add the lemon juice and zest, herbs and fruit then leave to cool.
4. Once cooled add enough breadcrumbs to make a stiff paste.
5. Cut the pastry into rectangular strips about 6 inches wide.
6. Lay a long thick sausage of the mixture along one side of the pastry.
7. Lightly egg the side and fold over the pastry and seal well.
8. Glaze well with egg and re-chill.
9. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
10. Bake in long strips for 20-25 minutes, and once cooked cool slightly before cutting.
11. Lightly salt the cucumber and leave in a colander for 15 minutes to remove some of the excess water, rinse and gently squeeze out.
12. Add to the thick yoghurt, chopped mint and honey, season well and serve with the sausage roll.