Phil Vickery cooks up simply tasty braised chicken thighs coated in a sweet and sour glaze.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
8 chicken thighs, skin on bone in
2 tsp five spice powder
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic
2 heaped tbsp fresh ginger
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp runny honey
Juice 2 large lemons
Juice 2 large limes
2 tbsp any vinegar
½ chicken stock cube
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
Small bag fresh spinach
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2. Place the thighs into a bowl and add a little salt, pepper and the five-spice and really mix well.
3. Heat the oil and place the thighs in skin side down, heat for a couple of minutes, then place the pan straight in the oven uncovered. Cook for 20 minutes.
4. Next place all the ingredients into a small blender and blitz until smooth, don’t go mad.
5. Place the parsnips into a pan of cold water and just bring to the boil, then strain straight away.
6. Heat the oil and sauté the parsnips til lightly browned and cooked, this won’t take long.
7. Season well with salt and pepper, then add the spinach and cook down for a minute or two.
8. At the 20 minutes mark remove the thighs from the oven and turn over,
9. Pour over the marinade and return to the oven, uncovered. Cook for a further 20 minutes, coating the chicken until all the juice is sticky and nicely glazed.
10. Remove from the oven and serve on top of the spinach and parsnips.
Make a meal of it with Phil's starter of sweet potato corn chowder and a delicious Bramley apple pie - yum!
Don't forget you can vote for This Morning and all your favourite shows at this year's National Television Awards