Before starting, Phil advises making his all-purpose gluten-free flour mix. This is really handy to have when baking gluten free so it's good to always have a batch made up.
To make 1 kg, you neeed:
700g fine white rice flour
200g potato flour
100g tapioca starch or flour
Mix all the flour together very thoroughly or put into a food processor and pulse until mixed. Store in an air tight container.
Toffee chocolate fudge brownie muffin cupcakes
Prep time: 30-35 minutes
180g gluten-free all-purpose flour
50g dark muscovado sugar
50g caster sugar
20g cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 medium egg, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
400g dulce de leche, from a jar or tin
30g each of dark, milk and white chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Place 12 paper muffin cases in a muffin tray.
2. Place the flour, sugars, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl and mix together well.
Next place the egg, vanilla extract and half the dulce de leche in a separate bowl and mix together well.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour and sugar and mix well, then add the chopped chocolate and the rest of the dulce de leche and carefully - 'chop' through with a spoon, leaving the mixture roughly combined.
4. Spoon into the muffin cases and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes.
5, Remove when well risen and still slightly undercooked.
6. Cool slightly on a wire rack and eat warm or cold.
Gluten-Free vanilla cupcakes
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp glycerine
180g caster sugar
175g gluten-free ll-purpose flour
1½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
½ level tsp xanthan gum
130ml full fat milk
130ml sunflower oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180C gas 4.
2. Place the caster sugar, eggs, vanilla and glycerine into a mixing bowl and whisk on high speed for 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, really mix the flour, baking powder and gum together, best to sieve a couple of times, then you know its fully incorporated. Next mix the oil and milk together.
4. Once the eggs are nice and thick, remove from the machine and add the flour mix and liquid - whisk well, but don't go mad.
5. Spoon into 12 muffin cases, set in a muffin tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until well risen to the top of the case.
6. Remove and cool, then top with frosting.
Baking products featured
- BAKE Decorative Word, £5, www.wilkinsonplus.com
- Cake Tin Set, £10, www.wilkinsonplus.com
- Kitchen Aprons, £20 each, cathkidston.co.uk
- Measuring Cups, £18.50, www.portmeirion.co.uk
- Rainbow Whisks, from £12.95 each, www.kuhnrikon.co.uk
- Shabby Chic Mixing Bowls, £40, www.houseoffraser.co.uk
- Silicone Pastel Cupcake Cases, £6.99 pk12, www.lakeland.co.uk
- Cupcake Cake Stand, £24.99, www.lakeland.co.uk
- Kitchen Scales, £19.95 each, www.dotcomgiftshop.com
- High Tea Cake Stand, From £45.00, www.lauraashley.com
- Cookbook Stand, £30, www.josephjoseph.com