Phil Vickery travels to the most northern point of Norway, gets up close and personal with the Arctic, and tastes some of the local cuisine.
Phil’s Norwegian crab feast
1. Boil a 1kg crab in salted water - or sea water if you’re near the sea – for around 15 minutes until the meat is cooked. When it’s cooked, drain the crab and break the legs to extract the meat.
2. Meanwhile chop 350g of fatty bacon into bite size chunks and fry in a hot pan until brown.
3. Add roughly 500g of sliced boiled potatoes, skin on is fine, and stir fry. Add some olive oil if you need it.
4. When the potatoes are brown, add roughly 200g of sliced and boiled turnip – Phil uses a sweet Norwegian variety, but any root vegetable will do here.
5. Season with pepper – you don’t need salt if you’ve cooked the crab in sea water.
6. Now stir in bite-size chunks of your crab meat, and 3-4 tbsp of fresh chopped dill.
7. Serve with a few dollops of mayonnaise, some crusty fresh bread and garnish with more fresh chopped dill.
With thanks to