It's National Curry Week, so the Sultan of Spices Reza Mahammad is here to cook his tasty Rogan Josh!
190gm/1 cup ghee/ clarified butter
1kg upper leg of lamb, well trimmed
6 green cardamoms pods
6 x 1 inch cinnamon sticks
4 black cardamoms (bruised)
3 bay leaves
1-2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tsp garlic, crushed
3 onions, grated
1 tsp ground fennel
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp tomato puree
5 blanched tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1-2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder dissolved in 1 cup of water
3-4 tbsp yoghurt
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp chopped coriander
Salt, to taste
1. Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan until smoking and add the green cardamoms, cinnamon sticks, cloves, black cardamom and bay leaves. Now add the onions and fry till they turn golden. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring continuously to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pan.
2. Now add the fennel and coriander and stir–fry for 3 minutes. Continue to stir, adding a small amount of water to prevent the spices from burning.
3. Add the tomato puree and the chopped tomatoes along with the chilli water and salt. Continue to stir until you have a rich consistency and the liquid has dried and the oil has risen to the surface.
4. Gradually add the yoghurt and stir into the mixture. Keep stirring till all the yoghurt has incorporated into the sauce and the oil has separated.
5. Now add the meat and cook on high for 3-4 minutes browning the meat on all sides. Add enough water to cover the meat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer till the meat becomes tender.
6. Finally add the garam masala and allow to infuse for a couple of minutes before serving and adjust for salt. Garnish with coriander.