Rustie Lee shows us that anyone can have pancakes with her additional dairy-free, egg-free and gluten-free versions.
She also shows us how to make her delicious mushroom, leek and cheese filling.
6oz (170g) plain flour
2 tsp sugar (for sweet pancakes only)
1/2 tsp salt (for savoury pancakes only)
3/4pint (450ml) milk
Oil for frying
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg. Add the milk slowly, season with the salt or the sugar and mix to a smooth batter.
2. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes
3. Heat the oil in a heavy pan and fry the pancakes, using enough batter (approximately 4-5 tbsp of batter, just enough to cover the base of the pan).
4. Cook each side of the pancakes for 3-4 minutes then have a go at tossing the pancake.
Mushroom, leek and cheese pancakes
8 savoury pancakes (see above recipe)
6oz button mushroom sliced
2 leeks, washed and chopped
Large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 sprigs basil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 knob of butter
1 large tin chopped tomatoes
1pt tomato juice
1 x 250g tub ricotta
150g strong cheddar cheese grated
1. Heat the oven 180C Gas Mark 6.
2. Make 8 savoury pancakes using the pancake recipe.
3. Sweat the onions and leeks in a knob of butter in a large pan. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
4. Mix the chopped tomato and the tomato juice together.
5. Add chopped basil pepper and salt. Leave a little basil for decoration.
6. Mix in the ricotta and half of the cheddar cheese, added to the cooled vegetables. Divide between the 8 pancakes, roll the pancakes in an oven proof dish and spread 1/3rd of the tomato sauce in the bottom of the dish.
7. Place the pancakes side by side with the rolled seam on the bottom. Pour the rest of the sauce over the pancakes. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the pancakes.
8. Place them in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
9. Sprinkle with the rest of the basil and serve. If you make the pancakes ahead, place baking parchment or grease proof paper in between each pancake.
Now try a pancake cocktail!
10ml of Pancake Powder Mix
25ml Dark Rum
10ml Sugar Syrup
Combine ingredients, with ice, in a cocktail shaker. Shake very vigorously, ensuring all the powder has dissolved. Take a Champagne saucer or cocktail glass; dip the rim in lemon juice and then sugar coat the rim.