Try these tasty meat kebabs for Dad this Fathers' Day.
450g pork or beef cut into 2 inch cubes
2 large onions cut into 4 or 6 pieces
½ tsp chilli flakes
2 bay leaves
10 juniper berries
500g tomato ketchup
1 dstspn red wine vinegar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp water
Rice or chips, to serve
1. Thread the meat on the skewer, then the onion and continue to alternate, making sure the last piece is meat.
2. Lay the kebab in a deep baking tray and sprinkle with the oil. Place in a preheated oven at 200C for approximately 15-20 minutes.
3. Put the tomato ketchup, water, juniper berries, chilli flakes, red wine vinegar and bay leaves in a saucepan and cook together for around 5-6 minutes, stirring continually.
4. Remove the kebabs from the oven after 15-20 minutes and pour the sauce over them. Return to the oven and cook for a further 20-25 minutes.
5. Serve on a bed of rice or with chips.
Lamb, courgette and mint kebabs
450g leg of lamb boned and cut into cut into 1in (2.5cm) cubes
4 courgettes (cut into squares)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp flaked chilli pepper
4 tbsp mint jelly
2 tbsp fresh chopped mint
4 tbsp olive oil
Wooden skewers, soaked in water
1. Mix all the the wet ingredients together then add the chopped mint.
2. Thread the lamb and cubes of courgettes on the skewers (which have been soaked in water) and brush the kebabs with the marinade.
3. Leave to marinate for up to 1 hour or longer if you have the time.
4. Grill for 8-10 minutes until cooked.
5. Serve with a salad or on a bed of rice.
Rusties spicy Caribbean kebabs
1lb (450g) Chicken cut into 1in (2.5) cubes
1 large red pepper, cut in cubes
1 large green pepper, cut into cubes
1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into cubes
For the marinade:
2 bunches of spring onions
6fl oz vegetable oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp ground allspice
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
6 cloves garlic
4 Scotch Bonnet peppers
1 tbsp ground thyme (or 2tbsp fresh thyme)
1. In a food processor add everything then blend until smooth.
2. Soak the skewers in water. Thread the chicken, red pepper, pineapple and green pepper so they look really colourful.
3. Brush the kebabs with the marinade and leave over night if possible.
4. On a grill or arbecue cook for 8-10mins each side serve with a salad on a bed of rice or in a pita bread pocket.