Phil Vickery cooks up this tasty chicken dish bursting with big flavours!
Preparation time: 20 minutes.
Cooking time: 20 minutes (onions to bake 1 hour, optional)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 small chicken breasts skin on
2 tbsp Chinese five spice powder
1 x 385g tin apricots in syrup
2 tsp green peppercorns in brine
Juice from 1 large lemon
Freshly milled black pepper
1 tsp sugar
2 large red onions skin on
50g unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
200g frozen broad beans, defrosted
1. To roast the onions, take off any loose skins and place on a wire rack and place the wire rack onto a baking sheet.
2. Put the baking sheet in a moderate oven 200C/Gas 6 and bake them in their skins until you can push a skewer right through without any resistance, when cooked remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
3. When cool remove the outside skins until you end up with a soft onion with no dry skin. Cut the onion in half lengthways and place the cut halves onto kitchen paper to dry out, do not cut off the root.
4. Rub the Five spice powder and pepper all over the chicken breasts.
5. Next, place the apricots and syrup into a liquidiser along with a tsp of peppercorns and brine and blitz until smooth.
6. Pour into a bowl and season well with a little pepper, salt, lemon juice and sugar.
Warm a frying pan and add the oil and butter and heat until foaming.
7. Season the chicken breasts with and salt and cook skin side down for a couple of minutes.
8. Pop in the oven or just turn over and gently cook over a medium heat, until cooked, probably 5-6 minutes.
9. Take care not to overcook, the meat should be nice and juicy and not dry and tough.
To serve, slice the chicken on a slight angle open up slightly and spoon over a little sauce and roasted onions see recipe below.
10. Warm a little unsalted butter in a frying pan until it starts to brown, then re season the cut onions well with salt and pepper and a touch of sugar. Add the garlic.
11. Brown in the butter nice and slowly, they will caramelise and start to crisp up.
At this point add the broad beans, chopped sage and warm through.
12. Serve the chicken breast with the onions and broad beans, then spoon over the sauce.