1 thick-cut sirloin steak, about 250-300g
1 garlic clove, smashed
Small bunch of basil, crushed
1kg ripe plum or mixed heritage tomatoes
A dash of olive oil
A splash of red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to season
1. Season the steak and chargrill until medium-rare. Put aside to rest,
2. Cut the tomatoes, lay in a tray and add the smashed garlic and some of the crushed basil stalks.
3. Season the tomato mixture, add a splash of red wine vinegar and allow to sit for ten minutes, before adding the olive oil.
4. Gently warm some olive oil, garlic and basil in a pan. Add some squashed tomatoes and allow to simmer for five minutes.
5. Strain and stir in some more olive oil and vinegar.
Cut the rested steak on the angle into three. Spoon a pile of the tomatoes onto a serving plate, tear up some basil and lay over the meat. Serve with any meat juices that formed while cooking.
- Want to make steak for a special occasion? Try Matt's alternative recipe of steak with ceps.