300ml cold strong black coffee, preferably espresso
6 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
2 medium eggs, separated
3 tbsp caster sugar
250g mascarpone cheese
250ml double cream, whipped
About 30 savoiardi biscuits (sponge fingers)
Cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Pour the coffee into a large bowl, mix in 3 tablespoons of the Amaretto and set aside.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in another large bowl for about 5 minutes until thick and pale. Add the mascarpone cheese and beat thoroughly to mix. Use a metal spoon to gently fold in the whipped cream.
3. Beat the egg whites in a third large bowl until soft peaks form. Fold them quickly, but gently, into the cream mixture, and then add the remaining liqueur, trying not to lose the volume.
4. Dip each biscuit into the coffee for just 2 seconds and no longer, otherwise they will go soggy. Drain and use to cover the bottom of a glass dessert bowl about 8cm across. Spread some of the cream mixture over the biscuits. Repeat the process.
5. Smooth the surface, cover with cling film and chill for about 2 hours to allow the flavours to develop.
6. Just before serving (and not before or the cocoa powder will go bitter), remove the cling film and dust with cocoa powder.