Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
2-4 tbsp lard
4 large good quality sausages
4 medium eggs, room temperature
225g plain flour
1 pint milk (600ml)
Ground white pepper
For the onion gravy:
3 large onions, very finely sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 litre good, strong beef or chicken stock
Freshly milled pepper
2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
1. Place the flour, eggs and half the milk into a large bowl.
2. Whisk slowly, gradually incorporating the flour from the edge of the bowl.
3. Finally add the rest of the milk and whisk well, then add salt and pepper, then leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 220C/ gas mark 7.
5. Place the lard into a 25cm non-stick frying pan. Add the sausages and brown nicely. Pour into the hot sausage pan and quickly place into the hot oven.
6. Straight away reduce the temperature to 200C/ gas mark 6.
7. Cook for 25-35 minutes or until well risen and golden around the edges.
8. When you think they are cooked, leave for a further 10 minutes.
9. Once cooked, remove from the oven and eat straight away with onion gravy.
Method for onion gravy:
1. Heat the oil, then add the onions and thyme then cook for 15 minutes to soften.
2. Add the flour and mix well, brown slightly.
3. Add the stock, jelly and cook gently for 20 minutes or until cooked and thickened.
4. Season well with salt and pepper and serve.