Did E. coli really kill British holidaymakers in Egypt?
At the end of August we heard the shocking news that couple John and Susan Cooper had died unexpectedly after falling ill at a five-star holiday resort in Egypt.
After much speculation and confusion over the cause, Egyptian authorities confirmed yesterday that a post-mortem showed E. coli bacteria was a factor in both deaths. As the bodies return to the UK for further investigations, the Coopers’ daughter Kelly - who was at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel with them - has claimed the findings are ‘absolute rubbish’.
Discussing this case, we’re joined by E. coli expert Professor Hugh Pennington and our travel expert Simon Calder, and we’ll be speaking to mum Alison Cope, who got ill at the same resort as the Coopers, from her home in Wolverhampton too.