Coronation Street - IOPC

You have a right to complain if you’re not happy with how you’ve beentreated by the police.

If you’ve got a problem or you’re unhappy about something that happenedto you which involved the police, it can usually be sorted out by speaking tothe police force. But if they can’t put things right for you, then you can makea complaint.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has oversight of policecomplaints made to 43 police forces across England and Wales.

There are several ways you can make a complaint:

You can fill in an online complaint form on the IOPCwebsite and they will send your complaint to the police force involved.

You can contact the police force directly (go to the relevant police websitefor more information).

If you want to complain in person at the police station, you can bringsomeone with you.

With your permission, someone can make a complaint on your behalf.

If you’re not happy with the result, you may be able to request a review/appeal.Depending on the complaint, the review may be done by the police and crimecommissioner for the police force involved in your complaint, or it may be doneby the IOPC. 

If you’re unsure about anything, you can contact the IOPC by phone on030 0020 0096 or email enquiries@policeconduct.gov.uk