Fabulous Fish Finger Sandwich
4 soft rolls, (brioche is good)
Butter, to spread
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
For the fish fingers
500g meaty white fish fillet, skinless, boneless
100g Flour, for dunking
2 beaten eggs, for dunking
100g Breadcrumbs (panko, if possible) for dunking
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the tartare sauce
10 tbsp Mayonnaise
2 tbsp Capers, finely chopped
2 larger Gherkins (or 8 small cornichons), finely diced
2 tsp chopped parsley
½ clove of garlic, grated
1. For the fish fingers, cut the fish into chunky fingers. Pop the flour in one bowl and stir through a generous pinch of sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Pop beaten eggs in another bowl and the breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
2. To make the tartare sauce, mix together all the ingredients and season to taste.
3. Pop a fish finger into the seasoned flour, shake off any excess, dunk into the egg, then finally into the bread crumbs. Place on a plate. Repeat with the remaining fish fingers.
4. Pour the oil so that it covers the base of a large frying pan. Get a plate lined with kitchen roll ready nearby. Heat the oil to a medium-high heat and fry the fish fingers until golden and cooked through (about 5 minutes), turning half way through, then place on the plate.
5. While the fish is frying, prepare the buns, slice them, then toast them gently under the grill. Butter both halves of the buns, layer the shredded lettuce on the base of the bun, place the two or three fish fingers on top, generously dollop over the tartare sauce, top with the remaining bun half and enjoy!