Shivi's Perfect Pavlova
For the meringue base
4 large egg whites
200g Caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
Dash of vanilla extract
For the topping
400ml double cream
2 tbsp caster sugar
800g fresh mixed summer berries, (hulled strawberries (halving if large), raspberries, blueberries)
3 passion fruit
Garnish: mint leaves, sparklers(!)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150c/Fan 130/Gas 2. Prepare a sheet of baking parchment by tracing around a dinner plate with a pencil.
2. Place your egg whites into a clean bowl and whisk with an electric whisk on a medium speed until it forms stiff peaks, then gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, continuing to whisk as you go along and finally whisk in the cornflour and the vanilla extract until the whites are stiff and glossy, and you are able to turn the bowl upside down without the contents falling out.
3. Dot a tiny amount of meringue on a baking tray and pop the baking parchment on top of that pushing it back down to stick the paper to the tray. Now spread the rest of the meringue inside the circle, making sure the middle is hollowed out a little and the sides are a touch higher.
4. Pop the tray into the oven and bake for 1 hour, turn the heat off and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven. Then remove the meringue for the paper and place on a serving dish.
5. Whip the double cream with the sugar until soft peaks form and spoon into the centre of the meringue.
6. Take 200g of the berries and blitz with a hand held blender or in a food processor, or mash with a fork until smooth to make a berry sauce.
7. Top with the fruit, drizzle over the berry sauce and dot the passion fruit pulp all over the top. Serve with mint leaves and sparklers!