I created this dish on the picture postcard Aeolian island of Panarea, where squid is abundant in the surrounding waters. The salad is full of punchy flavours and robust textures and makes a great summer main course.
100g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
100g tinned borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
15 fresh red cherry tomatoes, quartered
50g semi-dried cherry tomatoes in oil, drained
125g pitted green olives
1 fresh, medium-hot red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
400g whole medium squid
80g spicy salami, cut into rounds 5mm thick and halved
50g rocket leaves
Large handful (about 40g) of fresh basil leaves
1) Put the chickpeas and beans in a large bowl with the fresh and semi-dried tomatoes, olives, chilli, garlic and parsley. Add the lemon juice and 5 tablespoons of the oil, season with salt and toss well to coat. Set aside.
2) To prepare the squid, pull the tentacles from the body. Feel inside the body and remove and discard the 'quill' (a transparent sliver of cartilage). Wash the inside of the body and peel off the outer skin. Cut off the squid tentacles just below the eyes (discard the head and guts). Discard the small, hard beak at the base of the tentacles. Rinse the tentacles and squid body in cold water.
3) Cut open the body pouch of each squid along one side and score the inner side with the tip of a small sharp knife into a fine diamond pattern. The cut each pouch lengthways in half and then across into 7cm lengths. Keep the tentacles whole.
4) Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the squid, scored-side up, and the tentacles. Fry for about 1 minute, turning halfway, or until golden and caramelized. Add the salami, season with salt and cook for 1 minute.
5) Add the rocket to the bean mixture, toss until slightly coated in the dressing, and place on a large serving plate. Scatter over the squid and salami , sprinkle over the basil and serve immediately.