Chicken parmesan topped with Lisa’s cheat’s béchamel sauce
John and Lisa have a menu inspired by Italian cuisine in their Weekend Kitchen.
They start with a warming tomato sauce which can be used in many dishes - not least with their fresh pasta and garlicky bread rolls.
Next it’s chicken parmesan topped with Lisa’s cheat’s béchamel sauce.
Then another use for the tomato sauce - as a base for gorgeous ricotta-filled courgette spirals.
For dessert it’s a favourite of John's - coffee panna cotta.
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp paprika
2 skinless chicken breasts
100g Panko breadcrumbs
300g Greek yoghurt
1 generous tbsp Dijon mustard
1 egg, beaten
100g grated mozzarella
4 large spoonfuls ragù sauce (above)
40g parmesan, grated
1-2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
50g Panko breadcrumbs
50g finely chopped parsley
50g parmesan cheese, grated
A lemon wedge
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
2. Tip the beaten eggs into a shallow tray, add the paprika and salt and whisk in the combine with the eggs. Using a sharp knife, butterfly your chicken breasts by cutting through the centre so each breast becomes two thinner pieces. Add the chicken, turn a few times then cover and chill. The chicken really benefits from a good soak in the egg mixture, so do this well in advance if possible (up to a day ahead).
3. Tip the breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl or tray, add the chicken breasts one at a time and make sure they’re evenly coated with the breadcrumbs and then set each aside.
4. Heat a good splash of oil in a large frying pan (enough to generously coat the base of the pan) until it begins to shimmer. Add the chicken and fry for 1 - 2 minutes on each side until golden, making sure not to crowd the pan with too much chicken when frying. Remove from the pan, onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Whilst the chicken is frying, whisk the yoghurt, mustard, egg and 2 tbsp of the mozzarella together in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together equal quantities of Panko breadcrumbs, chopped parsley and parmesan.
5. Top each chicken breast with a large spoonful of the homemade tomato sauce, and then on top of that a spoonful of the ‘béchamel' sauce. Scatter over the flavoured breadcrumbs and any remaining mozzarella.
6. Slide the tray into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken breasts to serving plates with a squeeze of lemon juice for freshness, grind of pepper and enjoy!