Fakeaway: Lamb koftas with tahini sauce, pickles and flatbreads
A fakeaway favourite, these lamb koftas are easy to rustle up, and something the whole family are guaranteed to enjoy.
Koftas2 tsp cumin seeds2 tsp coriander seeds1 tsp chilli powder (optional)500g (1.1 lb) minced lambJuice of 2 lemons5 tsp fresh chopped mintSalt and pepper1 egg yolk brokenPickled red onion and radish1 large red onion, thinly sliced in rings12 small radishes, finely sliced1 tbsp caster sugar1 tsp salt100mls apple cider vinegar50mls water
Tahini sauce100grs tahiniJuice of half a lemonWaterOlive oilChopped saladChopped red onionsChopped tomatoesMintChopped cucumberDressed with a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
Serve with flatbreads.
Koftas1) Place the cumin and coriander seeds in a hot, dry frying pan and roast for 2-3 minutes until the seeds change colour and release their oils. Crush in a pestle and mortar. Set aside.
2) Put the lamb into a bowl with the egg yolk, chopped mint and all of the spices. Season well and mix until all combined.
3) Shape into 4 long patties. Skewer and Chill.
4) Grill or pan fry.
5) Pickled red onion and radish
6) Place the onion and radish in a bowl with the sugar and salt.
7) Stir and leave for 20 minutes.
8) Warm the vinegar and the water, pour over the vegetables and give a good stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
9) Leave to sit and serve with in a week.
Tahini sauce1) Combine tahini with water. You want about double the amount of water to tahini. It is important to combine it with the water first, before the lemon, or it will turn to concrete.
2) Add the lemon juice and blend until desired consistency is achieved.
3) Serve with a chopped salad, pickles, and flatbreads, with the tahini sauce drizzled on top.