Pub Grub: Mushroom & halloumi burger
For a fuss-free recipe that's delicious, and perfect for the whole family, try these mushroom and halloumi burgers. Drizzled in olive oil and served up with crusty white bread - these mouthwatering delights will be a winner at dinner time.
Ingredients6 large flat field mushrooms20ml olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzlingSalt and pepper200g halloumi cheeseRustic crusty white breadJuice of 1 lemon1 tub coleslaw100g watercress and flat leaf parsley
Method1) Heat a griddle plate. Place mushrooms on a board stems facing upwards. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and milled black pepper and cook on a griddle pan slowly until cooked. The mushrooms should be very dark in colour but still very moist.
2) Drain the halloumi well and slice into 1 cm-thick slices. Place on the grill until it starts to brown before turning and browning on the other side.
3) Remove the mushroom and halloumi from the pan and put to one side.
4) Slice the loaf of crusty bread into 4 x 1inch slices, brush with olive oil and grill on both sides until resembling toasted bread. Place to one side.
5) Drizzle some lemon juice over the mushrooms, pile some coleslaw on the toasted bread slices and top with the flat leaf parsley and watercress.
6) Place the halloumi on to the mushroom and lift on top of the bread and serve either open, or topped with another slice of toasted bread.