Picnic week: Chocolate & pomegranate tart
Fancy indulging in something sweet? This rich and extravagant chocolate tart recipe by Masterchef winner John Partridge is truly tempting and worth a try.
Serves 6 - 8
For the pastry180g flour2 tbsp icing sugar2 tbsp cocoa powder90g cold butter cubed5-8 tbsp ice cold water
For the filling400ml double cream1 tsp vanilla extract400g dark chocolate100ml pomegranate molassesCocoa powder to finish
Method1) Start by making the pastry. Put the flour, icing sugar, cocoa powder, and butter in to the food processor and blitz until you have the consistency of bread crumbs. Add the water one tablespoon at a time until the pastry comes together.
2) On a very lightly floured surface bring the pastry together to form a disc. Wrap the disc in cling film and put in the fridge to chill for at least half an hour.
3) Preheat the oven to 160 fan.
4) Grease a 25cm loose bottomed tart tin with butter and cut out a round of grease proof paper larger than your tart tin. Place your tart tin on a baking tray.
5) Lightly flour your work surface and remove pastry from the fridge. Using a rolling pin roll out your pastry as thin as you can.
6) Using the rolling pin, roll the pastry around it starting at one end. Lay the pastry into your prepared tart tin and gently form it around the tin. You want the pastry to hang over the sides off your tin as it will shrink while it bakes.Using a fork prick the pastry several times.
7) Lay your round of grease proof paper on your pastry and top with baking beads. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove tin from oven and remove greaseproof paper and beads. Put your tart back in the oven for another five minutes. Then place on a cooling rack. Once cool use a sharp knife to trim any excess so you have a clean edge.
8) For the filling pour cream and vanilla into a saucepan and warm through. Take it off as soon as it comes to the boil.
9) As your cream is warming break your chocolate up into small pieces in a large bowl.
10) When the cream ready pour it over the chocolate and stir until chocolate has melted you have a smooth consistency. Fold in the pomegranate molasses and pour into you pastry case. Use a palette knife to smooth the top or just give it a little wiggle.
11) Let sit for five minutes then place in the refrigerator to set for at least two hours.