Coleen's bangin' BBQ burgers
Welcome to Coleen’s kitchen kingdom. Col has been teaching us some of her favourite vegan dishes, with help from her daughter Ciara as sous chef.
Coleen's Bangin' BBQ burgers
400g can black beans, rinsed and drained well
1 medium onion, finely chopped
100g cooked brown rice
25g vegan breadcrumbs
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
Olive oil for brushing
4 tbsp vegan mayo
1-2 tsp chipotle to taste
4 vegan burger buns, sliced in half
Lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced red onion
1. For the burgers: Place the beans, onion, rice, breadcrumbs, cumin, garlic salt, paprika, parsley and salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and pulse until combined, but still slightly chunky. Scrape down the mixture and keep blending/pulsing adding a little water to help loosen the mixture if needed.
2. Remove from the food processor or blender and divide the mixture into 4 and shape into burger patties. Place onto greaseproof on a plate and chill for at least 30 minutes.
3. Heat the barbecue or a griddle pan. Brush the burgers with a little olive oil before placing on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes, do not move them before this as they are more likely to fall apart. Flip them over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Char the burger buns on the grill.
4. Chilli Mayo: In a bowl mix the vegan ‘mayonnaise’ with the chipotle
5. To serve: Spread a spoonful of chilli mayo on the base of each burger bun. Add a few lettuce leaves, a burger, onion and tomato slices and a spoonful of chilli mayo on top. Sandwich with the bun lid. Serve with potato wedges or fries if liked.